How to File A Flood Claim


You should report your loss immediately to your insurance agent or insurance carrier and ask them about Advance Payments. Advance Payments are being granted to eligible policyholders after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma and you may be able to receive some funds before the adjuster inspects your damage. 

If you have a policy written directly with the NFIP (your Declaration Page has the FEMA logo in the top corner), it’s fast and easy to report your claim directlly to the NFIP’s Direct Servicing Agent.

Find your insurer on this list of insurance companies adminstering NFIP flood insurance and report your claim today.

A claims adjuster will contact you within 24-48 hours, but it may take longer, depending on the severity of the event.

When reporting your claim, you should have the following information available:

  • Policy declarations page
  • Your phone number or email address
  • The insured property location
  • The name of the mortgage company

NOTE: Your NFIP policy does not cover Additional Living Expenses, including temporary housing, but if you qualify, FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program might be able to help. So it’s important to register with FEMA, even if you have flood insurance.

The fastest way to register is online, at

FEMA will deposit emergency funds into your bank account within a few days. If you do not have access to the internet you may register by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or 800-462-7585 (TTY).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *