Enhanced Claims Process: Hurricanes Harvey And Irma

Advance Payments

When you file your flood claim, ask about an Advance Payment. You may qualify for an Advance Payment before your adjuster arrives to inspect your damage. Please note, the advance is not a payment for non-covered Additional Living Expenses, like temporary housing. Advance Payments can also be requested after the adjuster inspects for damage.

Flood Insurance: Get Covered or File a Claim

  • Call the insurance agent who handles your flood
    insurance to file a claim. Be sure to have your
    insurance company name and your policy number
    with you when you place the call. Ask your agent to
    email you a copy of your policy and declarations
    page for easy access and reference for other
    assistance purposes.
  • The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
    offers additional coverage to qualified policyholders
    in high-risk areaswhose property has been declared
    by a local official to be substantially damaged by
    flood. This coverage can help pay for the costs of complying with local ordinances, and reduce
    the risk of damage from future floods. To learn more, visit: http://www.fema.gov/increased-costcompliance-coverage.
  • Discuss with your insurance agent the options for flood insurance coverage and waysto maximize
    the discounts on your flood insurance premium.
  • To learn more about the NFIP or find an insurance agent, visit: http://www.fema.gov/nationalflood-insurance-program or call 1-800-427-4661

    Know Your Updated Risk

  • Visit the FEMA Map Service Center for answers to frequently asked questions, and tips to
    rebuild better and safer at: http://msc.fema.gov/portal.
  • Clickable .PDF maps and other resources are available on the FEMA Risk Mapping, Assessment
    and Planning web page at: http://www.fema.gov/risk-mapping-assessment-and-planning-riskmap.

    Build Back Stronger and Safer

  • If you are thinking about or intend to rebuild, contact your local floodplain administrator or
    building official for information about local building codes and permit requirements. These
    individuals are typically found in your local building department or are known by local clerk
  • Discuss with your builder or contractor the options for elevating and strengthening your home
    against future floods. For ideas and resources, visit: http://www.fema.gov/mitigation.
    The higher you build above minimum required standards, the lower your flood
    insurance premium will usually be.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *